While I wasn't working down in Penn Quarter 4 years ago, I've heard the horror stories of detours, metro station closings, and bleacher building that came along with preparations for inauguration. Here's the first in what may be a long list of security announcements related to the transition.
Parking Restrictions & Street Closures for the Presidential Transition Office:
The Secret Service determined that the following street closures and parking restrictions are necessary to provide for security and safety for the presidential transition staff being housed in the former SEC building on E Street between 5th and 6th streets. Until further notice the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) advised that the following closures/restrictions will be in place.
· D Street, NW between 5th and 6th is closed to vehicular traffic and parking is limited to official cars.
· Northbound 6th Street St, NW, between Indiana Avenue and E Street, is reduced to one lane of traffic. The other 2 northbound lanes are blocked off.
· Indiana Avenue, NW, between 5th and 6th Streets, has been temporarily converted to accommodate two-way traffic until the traffic restrictions are lifted on D Street.
· Parking is NOT allowed on the west side of 5th Street, NW, between Indiana Avenue and E Street.
· Parking is NOT allowed in the curb lane on the south side of E Street, NW, between 5th and 6th Streets.
· The east side of 6th Street is closed to pedestrians and though DDOT did not say so, it appears that D Street may also be closed to pedestrians.
Announcement courtesy of Jo-Ann Neuhaus of PennQuarter.org