Monday, September 20, 2010

Single Girl's Supper: Naan Pizza

Since trying Tandoori Chef’s naan earlier this summer, I haven’t been without a box in my freezer for more than a day or two. These delightful little pieces of heaven go from frozen to warm and delicious in just 90 seconds. The garlic is my flavor of choice.

I was chowing down on a piece the other night and I thought...Wow, this would make an amazing pizza crust. So I set to work looking for a recipe online and I found more than a few.  Looks like I wasn't the only one thinking naan would make a simple and yummy pizza crust. I thought this one at In Praise of leftovers sounded great, as well as this one at Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen, and this grilled version at Tasty Days.


With those as inspiration, I set to work creating my own version.......


I chopped up a Portabella mushroom and sauteed  some onions. These are actually diced frozen onions I brought at Whole Foods. They cook up just like fresh onions and it's really handy when you're trying to put together a quick meal. You don't have to worry about unused onion going to waste and, best of all, no tears!





Once the onions have caramelized, add in the chopped mushrooms, garlic, and some roasted tomatoes.

Cover the still frozen naan with tomato sauce. I used Newman's Own Fra Diavolo Sauce straight from the jar. I like that it has a little kick to it.

On went the sauteed vegetables, a layer of feta cheese, and shrimp. You could certainly use whatever toppings and cheese you'd like. Fresh mozzarella would also work nicely.
After about 20 minute in the oven at 350 degrees, I enjoyed my personal sized naan pizza with a few slices of fresh yellow tomato and balsamic vinegar.




No comments: